Well, I just discovered my downfall in Paris: Monoprix (a classier French version of Walmart) sells boxes of biscuits covered in chocolate for 60 centimes. There goes that fabulously balanced diet my host mom tries to give me.
I am currently sitting on my bed listening to Chris Brown (quick, Mom: name 2 songs he sings!) and enjoying one as a bedtime snack. The mystery of these slim French women is still evading me – according to my host mother I have an “appétit oiseau” (bird’s appetite), even though I eat the same amount as everyone else! I’m not sure how they expect me to eat anymore and look like them!
I think my host mom is still trying to figure out what my favorite foods are – my insistence that everything she makes is delicious does not quite make the cut. She recently found out that I really like avocados. Now every night at dinner there is a half of an avocado on my plate for an appetizer. Whoops. I wonder what would happen if I told her I love Nutella crepes more than anything else. Hmm – something to ponder. Truly, this just speaks to how attentive she is to me and how caring she is, but it is amusing nonetheless.
This past weekend brought me to Le Marais for some exploration and delicious falafel. Despite the rather chilly weather, a friend and I explored the little shops, galleries, and baffling French playgrounds. On Sunday, I caught the end of a mass at Notre Dame – the organs echoing throughout the building is certainly something that is not to be missed.
Here's a picture of Notre Dame last night when we wandered over after dinner:
After class on Wednesday I visited Sainte Chapelle – one of the most beautiful chapels here, made almost entirely of stained glass. While we were waiting in line, my friend and I met the funniest little old French ladies. They were quite impressed with our French, completely confused as to whether they were in the right place, but found us quite charmantes! They were surprised to learn that we were American, but were delighted to talk to us. To pass the time, one of them pulled out her magazine and began reading us our horoscopes. The time passed quickly, but now I am keeping an eye out for my friend that is going to betray me and those money troubles that are supposed to appear around the 20th (I’m in Paris – when do I not have money troubles?!).
I’ve been trying to fit in a lot of the more touristy activities in the beginning of the semester when it’s not too crowded and I still don’t know the city very well. A trip to Versailles yesterday rounded out quite a wonderful week. We were able to tour the inside of the chateau without immense crowds, and, with the help of our French student ID’s, for free. I swear these ID’s are everyone’s favorite part about the trip. Throughout Europe, you can get into most museums and exhibits free if you are under 26 and a citizen of the EU. Fortunately for us, these ID cards that say we are all students studying l’histoire de l’art act as basically the same thing since they note that we are studying in Paris. They give us free entrance to the Louvre, the Arc de Triomphe, and other monuments around the city – quite handy!
Me at Versailles
Hall of Mirrors
Well, my box of cookies is finished and I have homework awaiting (don’t they know I’m on vacation!?) so bonne nuit à tous!
No comments:
Post a Comment